I am a blogger and also a cybersecurity enthusiast. And I know the importance of security. It is very important for you to make sure that your website is secure from the bad guys. As of now WordPress powers more than 30% of the websites. And roughly around 19,500,000 websites on the entire web use WordPress. That’s a lot of websites and this also means more people interested in finding a vulnerability and using it for wrong purposes. So if you don’t want your website to get hacked then make sure you take
Now, Before I list the best security plugins for WordPress sites. Here are some measures you should take to make sure your website is safe and secure.
How to keep your website safe from hackers?
1.Update everything:- Make sure that you keep all the plugins and themes updated to there latest versions because previous versions may have some vulnerability.And also you should not use any plugin or theme which is not being updated by their developers for months because it can be very dangerous for your website.Same goes for the themes keep you themes updated and use the theme that gets constant updates.
2.Web Hosting:- You should never use a free web hosting service because free is never secure and using a free web hosting can be very dangerous. Like one of the most popular free web h
3. Use a security plugin:- Now the main point you should use a good security plugin. Using a security plugin is very important it takes care of all your security needs and they make it easy to manage the security of your website.
Some interesting WordPress security stats
WordPress is the most hacked into CMS of them all. Out of the 8,000 infected websites analyzed in a study, 74% were built on WordPress.
8% of WordPress websites get hacked because of a weak password.
- 61% of infected WordPress sites are out of date.
- The top three plugins that hackers love breaking into are TimThumb, Revslider, and Gravity Forms.
- According to one study, 30.95% of Alexa’s top 1 million websites run a vulnerable version 3.6 of WordPress.
- In 2017, 4000 WordPress websites got infected with malware coming from a fake SEO plugin.
- Wordfence reports up to 90,000 attacks on WordPress sites every minute.
- 52% of the vulnerabilities reported by WPScan are caused by WordPress plugins.
- 39% of WordPress vulnerabilities are cross-site scripting (XSS) issues.
- 37% of WordPress vulnerabilities result from the WordPress core files.
- 11% of WordPress vulnerabilities are caused by WordPress themes.
Source of the stats:- CODEINWP
Now, The Best Security Plugins for WordPress sites in 2019
Shield Security is the best security plugin for WordPress.And the only reason is that it has a lot of security features and it has the easiest setup. The shield security plugin comes with a
Some Features of Shield Security
- Beautiful, Easy-To-Use Guided Wizards – help you configure Shield and run scans like a Pro
- Limit Login Attempts / Block Automatic Brute-Force Bots – all automatically
- Powerful Core File Scanners – automatically detects malicious file changes and hacks you’d never see
- Automatic IP Black List – no need for you to manage IPs!
- Block 100% Automated Comments SPAM
Wordfence is no doubt the most popular WordPress security plugin with 3 million plus active useres. And it was the first security plugin that I used for my blog and it works great. The interface is not complex but when compared to shield it can be complicated but you should be fine. After installation, it sets everything like firewall scanners and all that stuff . But if you want you can configure everything. It also has a premium plan all the plugins in the list have it but for starting the free plan should be more than enough.
Some features of Wordfence Security
- Web Application Firewall identifies and blocks malicious traffic
- Protects your site at the endpoint, enabling deep integration with WordPress
- Integrated malware scanner blocks requests that include malicious code or content.
- Protection from brute force attacks by limiting login attempts.
- Checks your site for known security vulnerabilities and alerts you to any issues
- Login Page CAPTCHA stops bots from logging in.
BulletProof Security is a bit less known security plugin. But it is a great security plugin and it comes with a great setup wizard where you can set up things easily. It has a built-in malware scanner and it also monitors all login attempts and stops all malicious activities on your website. It also comes a maintenance mode which you can activate in case you want to fix some errors. And the auto setup feature makes setting up everything very easy.The plugin also has a database
Some features of BulletProof Security
- One-Click Setup Wizard
- MScan Malware Scanner
- Setup Wizard AutoFix (AutoWhitelist|AutoSetup|AutoCleanup)
- Login Security & Monitoring
- DB Backup: Full|Partial DB Backups | Manual|Scheduled DB Backups | Email Zip Backups | Cron Delete Old Backups
- Maintenance Mode
Cerber Security is also a great WordPress security plugin. It has a simple user interface which shows you how many malicious activities are blocked. And spam comments stopped. You can easily set up all the thing like firewall, antispam and other things like scanning and login security the setup is simple. The main highlight of the plugin is automated spam protection. And it comes with a login changer which means you can change your login URL from the default one.
Some features of Cerber Security
- Create Custom login URL
- Automatically detects and moves spam comments to trash or denies them completely.
- Security scanner verifies the integrity of WordPress files, plugins and themes.
- Anti-spam: reCAPTCHA to protect WordPress login, register
- Limit login attempts when logging in by IP address or entire subnet.
- Immediately blocks an intruder IP when attempting to log in with
non-existentor prohibited username.
This plugin is not a full security plugin.But it is a plugin which can save you from a lot of hacker attacks.In simple words this plugin changes all the default paths(links). Which may be targeted by hackers and by setting up custom paths you can make i harder for hackers to attack your website.They say that the plugin works like security through obscurity solution for a WP website.
Some features of Hide My WP Ghost
- Hide WordPress wp-admin
- Hide WordPress wp-login.php
- Change the wp-admin and wp-login
- Change lost password URL
- Change register URL
- Change logout URL
- and lot more…
Your WordPress website security is very important and you should not ignore it. And always keep all the plugins and themes updated. Because if your website is hacked it will affect your business your data and your customer’s data can be leaked. You can even lose control of your whole website. All the plugins I have mentioned are great you can use any one of them. So that your website is protected
Which security plugin do you use for your website comment down?And please share the post if you like it.